Uber may not face prosecution over its handling of a 2016 data breach – but its former chief security head does; how to defend your digital devices’ data while on vacation, and how to change your accent with artificial intelligence.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Paul Ducklin.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with Ian Farquhar of Gigamon.
Paul Ducklin – @duckblog
- Uber Enters Non-Prosecution Agreement Related to 2016 Data Breach — US Department of Justice.
- Former Uber Security Chief Joe Sullivan Must Face Driver Fraud Charges — Bloomberg.
- Uber to pay $148 million in data breach settlement — TechCrunch.
- Uber paid hackers $100,000 to keep data breach quiet — Graham Cluley.
- Uber CISO's trial underscores the importance of truth, transparency, and trust — CSO Online.
- 7 cybersecurity tips for your summer vacation! — Naked Security.
- Sanas demo.
- Sanas Raises $32M for Breakthrough AI Technology for Real-Time Accent Translation — Sanas press release.
- This 6-Million-Dollar AI Changes Accents as You Speak — IEEE Spectrum.
- Call centre workers can use AI to mimic your accent on the phone — New Scientist.
- A little less accent, a little more customer service — ComputerWorld.
- What Is Accent Reduction? — Accent Advisor.
- Compound pejoratives on Reddit – from 'buttface' to 'wankpuffin' — Colin Morris.
- Melissa computer virus — Wikipedia.
- Dedham Hall.
- 3D capture of Carole Theriault — Polycam.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Gigamon – Gigamon is the leading deep observability company. Download their latest report into the state of ransomware to learn why deep observability is the new frontier for tackling the ransomware crisis.
- SolCyber – SolCyber delivers Fortune 500 level cybersecurity for small and medium-sized enterprises. If the bad guys aren’t being discriminating about who they’re attacking, how can you settle for anything less?
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.