The Darkside ransomware gang thinks it’s a modern-day Robin Hood when it donates extorted Bitcoins to charity, the micro-targeted ad industry could pop like a bubble, and would you trust a burger-flipping robot?
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Tim Hwang.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with Recorded Future’s Levi Gundert.
Smashing Security #201: 'Robin Hood, Flippy, and the web ad bubble'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Spotify | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
Tim Hwang – @timhwang
- Smashing Security celebration livestream — YouTube.
- Ransomware gang donates part of ransom demands to charity organizations — ZDNet.
- Mysterious 'Robin Hood' hackers donating stolen money — BBC News.
- Donate Bitcoin – Give to Help Build Wells and Water Projects — The Water Project.
- Donate cryptocurrency to Children International
- Ad Tech Could Be the Next Internet Bubble — Wired.
- Subprime Attention Crisis: Advertising and the Time Bomb at the Heart of the Internet — A book by Tim Hwang.
- Miso Robotics unveils its next-gen robot kitchen assistant — VentureBeat.
- Flippy — Miso Robotics.
- Miso Robotics Flippy Robot flips burgers like it's its job — YouTube.
- Flippy the burger-flipping robot too good, fired after one day — Naked Security.
- Cybersecurity a Must for Safe IIoT Robots — Robotics Online.
- How to Improve Cybersecurity for Robots — RIA Robotics Blog.
- Airplane Mode — Steam.
- Enjoy a 6-hour flight in real-time with economy class sim Airplane Mode from tomorrow — Eurogamer.
- Airplane Mode: Live Action Trailer — YouTube.
- Airplane Mode Gameplay — YouTube.
- Gef the Talking Mongoose — Wikipedia.
- Gef! The Strange Tale of an Extra-Special Talking Mongoose — MIT Press.
- Dirty Diana — QCODE.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
LastPass Enterprise makes password security effortless for your organization.
LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
Immersive Labs delivers hands-on, challenge-based training and exercises to make your team ready to fight real-world threats.
Check out their free ebook all about the MITRE ATT&CK framework, and how you can use it as part of your cyber skills strategy and improve your security posture by identifying weaknesses. Visit immersivelabs.com/smashing now.
Recorded Future empowers your organization, revealing unknown threats before they impact your business, and helping your teams respond to alerts 10 times faster. How does it do this? By automatically collecting and analyzing intelligence from technical, open web, and dark web sources.
For up-to-the-minute security intelligence that can help you make fast and confident security decisions, install the free browser extension Recorded Future Express.
Get it now at smashingsecurity.com/recordedfuture
Follow the show:
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.