The Colonial Pipeline attack has shone light on the activities of the Darkside ransomware gang, we take a skeptical look at cryptocurrencies and the blockchain, and Eufy security cameras suffer an embarrassing security failure.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with Vanessa Pegueros of OneLogin.
Rory Cellan-Jones – @ruskin147
- Major US oil pipeline shut down after ransomware attack — Graham Cluley.
- Abrdn: Standard Life Aberdeen vowel-less rebrand mocked — BBC News.
- DarkSide Ransomware Gang Quits After Servers, Bitcoin Stash Seized — Brian Krebs.
- Colonial Pipeline did pay ransom to hackers, sources now say — CNN.
- Darkside Retreats to the Dark — Kim Zetter on Substack.
- Elliptic Follows the Bitcoin Ransoms Paid by Colonial Pipeline and Other DarkSide Ransomware Victims — Elliptic.
- "Always On: Hope and Fear in the Social Smartphone Era" by Rory Cellan-Jones — Bloomsbury.
- Eufy privacy breach leaks both live and recorded cam feeds — 9to5 Mac.
- WARNING Disconnect any Eufy Security products you own immediately — Reddit.
- Server glitch allowed Eufy owners to see through other homes’ cameras — The Verge.
- Crown Court (TV series) — Wikipedia.
- Fulchester Crown Court — Fan website.
- Crown Court – The Jawbone of an Ass (1978) — YouTube.
- Crown Court – Treason — YouTube.
- BBC Weather app for Android — Google Play Store.
- BBC Weather app for iOS — iOS App Store.
- The Hyacinth Disaster – A Sci Fi Audio Drama.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
With 1Password you only ever need to memorize one password. All your other passwords and important information are protected by your Master Password, which only you know. Take the 14 day free trial now at 1password.com
We store more personal information on our devices than we do in our homes. Where do you go online when you want to write or share something privately?
Skiff is the first collaboration platform built for privacy from the ground up. Every document, note, and idea you write is end-to-end encrypted and completely private. Only you and your trusted collaborators – no one else, not even Skiff – can see what you’ve created.
Skiff is offering listeners of Smashing Security early access. Sign up now: skiff.org/smashing
According to the OneLogin IAMokay Mental Health Survey, more than 77% of technology leaders have said that their work-related stress increased due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a result, CISOs and IT executives have been under ever-increasing pressure – leading to deteriorating mental health, addiction issues, and even suicidal thoughts and tendencies.
OneLogin’s message? You’re not alone. Attend their live event on Weds May 26, “Keeping the Mind Clear and the Company Secure” at smashingsecurity.com/oneloginiamokay
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter to read more of the exclusive content we post.