Will deepfake disguises hit a video conference near you, can Coronavirus-tracing apps be trusted, and should Facebook shut down anti-quarantine events?
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Maria Varmazis – @mvarmazis
- Did you know you could leave us a voicemail? Feel free to be as rude/weird/complimentary as you like…
- Iain Thomson in fancy dress on Zoom. — Twitter.
- Smashing Security 134: Sextortion, silicone face masks, and a DDoS doofus.
- Avatarify: Avatars for Zoom and Skype — GitHub.
- "Elon Musk joined our Zoom call" — YouTube.
- Avatarify demo — YouTube.
- This Open-Source Program Deepfakes You During Zoom Meetings, in Real Time — Vice.
- Trailer for Zardoz (1974) — YouTube.
- Coronavirus: Governors ask Trump to call off lockdown protests — BBC News.
- Facebook sort-of blocks anti-quarantine events – how many folks are actually behind these 'massive' protests online? — The Register.
- COVID-19 apps — Wikipedia.
- Would You Give Up Health or Location Data to Return to Work? — The New York Times.
- European scientists and researchers raise privacy concerns over coronavirus contact tracing apps — VentureBeat.
- European experts ready smartphone technology to help stop coronavirus — Reuters.
- 2 billion phones cannot use Google and Apple contact-tracing tech — Ars Technica.
- Contact Tracing in the Real World — Light Blue Touchpaper.
- Tracking the Global Response to COVID-19 — Privacy International.
- Apple and Google Respond to Covid-19 Contact Tracing Concerns — Wired.
- Sketchplanations – A weekly explanation in a sketch.
- Make These Projects to Fight COVID-19 Right Now — Make.
- 3D Print This Simple Tool Now, To Help Local Sewists Make More Masks for Covid-19 — Make.
- Fix The Mask.
- Turn a T-shirt into a face mask — Ronit Bose Roy on Twitter.
- Educational Documentaries on Netflix — YouTube.
- Remote Tourism.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
LastPass Enterprise makes password security effortless for your organization.
LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
Boxcryptor encrypts your sensitive files and folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and many other cloud storages. It combines the benefits of the most user friendly cloud storage services with the highest security standards worldwide. Encrypt your data right on your device before syncing it to the cloud providers of your choice.
Listeners can get a 40% discount on the Boxcryptor Personal License (private use) and Boxcryptor Business (perfect for self-employed) by visiting smashingsecurity.com/boxcryptor now.
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter to read more of the exclusive content we post.