Twitter has a new chief twit in the form of Elon Musk and he’s causing problems, scientists say artificial intelligence may help us communicate with animals, and is the office of the future set in the metaverse?
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Mark Stockley.
Smashing Security #296: 'Twitter turmoil, AI animal chatters, and metaverse at work'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Spotify | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
Mark Stockley – @markstockley
- Twitter employees are sleeping on the office floor to meet Elon Musk’s deadlines – The Verge.
- Elon Musk shows what being Chief Twit is all about across weird weekend – The Register.
- Pranksters pretending to be laid-off Twitter employees leave San Francisco HQ – YouTube.
- Twitter Limits Content-Enforcement Work as US Election Looms – Bloomberg.
- Twitter’s Yoel Roth comments on the firm’s trust and safety staff having their access to moderation and enforcement tools frozen – Twitter.
- Paul Pelosi Conspiracy Theory Trends on Twitter After Elon Musk Pushes It – Rolling Stone.
- Yoel Roth describes how Twitter will warn users of misleading information – Twitter.
- Yoel Roth describes “surge in hateful conduct on Twitter” – Twitter.
- The Demise of Digg: How an Online Giant Lost Control of the Digital Crowd – Harvard.
- Follow Graham on Mastodon.
- How tech is helping us talk to animals – Vox.
- “The Sounds of Life: How Digital Technology Is Bringing Us Closer to the Worlds of Animals and Plants” – Book by Karen Bakker.
- Project CETI – The Cetacean Translation Initiative. Not to be mixed-up with Project SETI.
- The Dark Side Of VR – The Intercept.
- The Metaverse Is the Ultimate Surveillance Tool – Vice.
- What I Learned From Diving Headfirst Into The Metaverse – CNN.
- Zuckerberg thinks the metaverse is the future of work. So what will this look like? – Smart Company.
- Is the Metaverse Really the Future of Work? An Unbiased Investigation Gizmodo.
- How to Turn Off the “Sign in with Google” Prompt on Websites – How-To Geek.
- Julia Davis and the Russian Media Monitor – Twitter.
- Weiner Staatsoper Opera House.
- Emojis instead of emotions in Simon Stone’s Traviata in Vienna – BackTrack.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Akamai – Make the most of Cybersecurity Awareness Month by connecting with Akamai’s experts on how you can achieve unmatched security. Where else can you take advantage of insights from 7 trillion DNS queries per day?
Support the show:
You can help the podcast by telling your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.