World-chess-champion-turned-activist Garry Kasparov joins us as we discuss celebrity lookalikes, smartphone fleeceware, the impact Coronavirus is having on security, and how a popular new video game is being used for political ends.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Garry Kasparov.
Yes, the Garry Kasparov. Graham was pretty excited too.
Garry Kasparov – @Kasparov63
- Don’t let fleeceware sneak into your iPhone — Sophos.
- Fleeceware apps persist on the Play Store — Sophos.
- Fleeceware apps discovered on the iOS App Store — ZDNet.
- How to see or cancel subscriptions on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch — Apple Support.
- How to cancel, pause, or change a subscription on Google Play — Google Play Help.
- Global Move to Telecommute Work Increases Security Risks — Voice of America.
- Cybercriminals impersonate World Health Organization to distribute fake coronavirus e-book — Malwarebytes.
- Animal Crossing.
- The Vegan Guide to 'Animal Crossing: New Horizons' — PETA Kids.
- Chinese gamers decorate Animal Crossing with propaganda and Covid-19 references — Abacus.
- Nintendo game pulled from Chinese platforms after Hong Kong protest — Reuters.
- Animal Crossing removed from sale in China amid Hong Kong protests — BBC News.
- Animal Crossing game removed from sale in China over Hong Kong democracy messages — The Guardian.
- Retirement day fighter jet ride ends in chaos after OAP pulls ejector seat lever — Daily Star.
- Extraordinary Times: A COVID-19 Visual Journal — Maria Photinakis.
- French air investigation report.
- Coronavirus: 20 suspected phone mast attacks over Easter — BBC News.
- Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims 'complete rubbish' — BBC News.
- The Weirdly Enduring Appeal of Weird Al Yankovic — The New York Times.
- The Daily: The Sunday Read: Weird Al Yankovic’s Weirdly Enduring Appeal — Apple Podcasts.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
Boxcryptor encrypts your sensitive files and folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and many other cloud storages. It combines the benefits of the most user friendly cloud storage services with the highest security standards worldwide. Encrypt your data right on your device before syncing it to the cloud providers of your choice.
Listeners can get a 40% discount on the Boxcryptor Personal License (private use) and Boxcryptor Business (perfect for self-employed) by visiting smashingsecurity.com/boxcryptor now.
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter to read more of the exclusive content we post.