Spy software known as Pegasus has been used to carry out surveillance on the smartphones of journalists, activists, and political leaders. Can a “Freedom Phone” be trusted? And a ransomware-hit law firm demonstrates how not to keep its customers informed.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Thom Langford.
Thom Langford – @thomlangford
- The Pegasus project — The Guardian.
- Revealed: leak uncovers global abuse of cyber-surveillance weapon — The Guardian.
- Pegasus: NSO clients spying disclosures prompt political rows across world — The Guardian.
- Pegasus: Spyware sold to governments 'targets activists' — BBC News.
- Revealed: murdered journalist’s number selected by Mexican NSO client — The Guardian.
- Forensic Methodology Report: How to catch NSO Group’s Pegasus — Amnesty International.
- Mobile Verification Toolkit (MVT) — Forensic tool to look for signs of infection in smartphone devices.
- Freedom Phone.
- MAGA World’s ‘Freedom Phone’ Actually Budget Chinese Phone — Daily Beast.
- Hacker Fantastic on Twitter.
- Finnish therapy clinic’s CEO fired after despicable data breach and blackmail threats — Graham Cluley.
- Campbell Conroy & O’Neil Provides Notice of Data Privacy Incident – — Campbell Conroy & O’Neil.
- They were competitive eaters. Then they fell in love — Wired.
- Brickit: Rebuild your Lego.
- Central Park — Apple TV.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
Privacy.com lets you buy things online using virtual cards instead of having to use your real ones, protecting your identity and bank information on the internet. Right now, new customers will automatically get $5 to spend on their first purchase.
Go to privacy.com/smashing
Did you know that 91% of successful data breaches started with a spear phishing attack?
Find out what percentage of your employees are at risk with KnowBe4’s free phishing security test.
Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with the new phishing industry benchmarks.
Find out more at www.knowbe4.com/freetest
With 1Password you only ever need to memorize one password. All your other passwords and important information are protected by your Master Password, which only you know. Take the 14 day free trial now at 1password.com
With the skills gap increasing, it’s more important than ever to train your staff effectively and efficiently. Industry-leading Offensive Security provides training for your organization designed by the same minds behind Kali Linux and the OSCP.
Visit smashingsecurity.com/offsec to learn more.
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter to read more of the exclusive content we post.