Special guest Geoff White can’t resist using the podcast to promote his new book, “Crime Dot Com”, but other than that we also discuss the creepy (and apparently legal) way websites can find out your email and postal address even if you don’t give it to them, take a look at how the alleged Twitter hackers were identified, and learn about Fawkes – the technology fighting back at facial recognition.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by cybersecurity veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by “Crime Dot Com” author Geoff White.
Geoff White – @geoffwhite247s
- A free chapter of Geoff's book, "Crime Dot Com"
- Start-Up Helps Conservative Websites Like the Daily Caller Store User Names, Postal Addresses of Anonymous Readers — Jezebel.
- Permission Shmarketing: How does GetEmails work? — YouTube.
- Some say we're criminals. Many say we're unethical. We think we're geniuses. But we're so, so bad… — YouTube.
- Three charged in massive Twitter hack, Bitcoin scam — KTVU.
- Three Individuals Charged For Alleged Roles In Twitter Hack — Department of Justice.
- Defund Facial Recognition Before It's Too Late — The Atlantic.
- 'Atlas of Surveillance' now provides searchable, interactive database of police surveillance — VentureBeat.
- Clearview AI—Yet Another Example of Why We Need A Ban on Law Enforcement Use of Face Recognition Now — Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- Facial Recognition Map.
- This Tool Could Protect Your Photos From Facial Recognition — The New York Times.
- Fawkes – Image "Cloaking" for Personal Privacy.
- Fawkes: Protecting Personal Privacy against Unauthorized Deep Learning Models (USENIX Security 2020) — YouTube.
- Rush Hour (puzzle) — Wikipedia.
- Rush Hour games — ThinkFun.
- How To Play: Rush Hour – by ThinkFun — YouTube.
- Unblock Me — iOS App Store.
- Origins – How the earth shaped human history — Lewis Dartnell.
- The Umbrella Academy — Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.