Is a deepfake Tom Hanks better than the real thing? Who has been attacking the British Royal Family’s website, and why? And how can you protect your vehicle from the spate of keyless car thefts?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by cybersecurity veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with Devo CISO Kayla Williams.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Maria Varmazis – @mvarmazis
- The disturbing uncanny valley of Robert Zemeckis film ‘Polar Express’ – Far Out magazine.
- Tom Hanks warns of deepfake video promoting dental plan – Instagram.
- Fuming Tom Hanks says he had nothing to do with that AI dental ad clone of him – The Register.
- Tom Hanks warns dental plan ad image is AI fake – BBC News.
- Robin Williams’ Daughter Zelda Criticizes Use of AI to Re-create His Voice: “I Find It Personally Disturbing” – Hollywood Reporter.
- Bruce Willis denies selling rights to his face – BBC News.
- Deepfake Bruce Willis in Russian telecoms advert – YouTube.
- Could you get “carhacked”? The growing risk of keyless vehicle thefts and how to protect yourself – CBS News.
- Keyless car theft: What is a relay attack, how can you prevent it, and will your car insurance cover it? – Leasing.com.
- Testing Phone-Sized Faraday Bags – Matt Blaze.
- Famous DDoS attacks – Cloudflare.
- The sinister Russian hackers who’ve claimed responsibility for crashing Buckingham Palace website – Daily Mail.
- King Charles rebukes Russia’s ‘horrifying’ invasion of Ukraine in unprecedented speech – Express.
- Visually, how much paper would a GB and a TB of data fill in terms of physical size? – Quora.
- “The shop around the corner” – Wikipedia.
- Evan Designs.
- “Eight Detectives” by Alex Pavesi – Penguin Books.
- Review of “Eight Detectives” – The Guardian.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Hunters – A SOC platform, built to empower your security team to reduce risk, complexity and costs.
- Kolide – Kolide ensures that if your device isn’t secure it can’t access your cloud apps. It’s Device Trust for Okta. Watch the demo today!
- Devo – Register now to join Devo and other cybersecurity industry professionals on October 18 for sessions and panels focused on de-stressing, SOC career development, and more!
Support the show:
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.