Facebook suffers a massive (and very public) failure, Britain announces plans for counter-attacking nation states in cyberspace, and there’s a tragic story related to ransomware.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Chris Kirsch.
And don’t miss our featured interview with Attivo Network’s Carolyn Crandall.
Smashing Security #245: 'Facebook has fallen'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Spotify | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
Chris Kirsch – @chris_kirsch
- Update about the October 4th outage — Facebook Engineering.
- More details about the October 4 outage — Facebook Engineering.
- Facebook Whistleblower Says Company Chooses ‘Profits Over Safety’ All The Time — Vice.
- Inside Facebook’s Push to Defend Its Image — The New York Times.
- Conspiracy Theories About Facebook Outage Spread Even Without Facebook — Vice.
- Facebook outage: what went wrong and why did it take so long to fix after social platform went down? — The Guardian.
- A Hospital Hit by Hackers, a Baby in Distress: The Case of the First Alleged Ransomware Death — Wall Street Journal.
- Baby's Death Alleged to Be Linked to Ransomware — Threatpost.
- US unites 30 countries to disrupt global ransomware attacks — Bleeping Computer.
- Interpol urges police to unite against 'potential ransomware pandemic' — Bleeping Computer.
- More than 20,000 arrests in year-long global crackdown on phone and Internet scams — Interpol.
- Lancashire partners welcome NCF to the North West — Lancashire Enterprise Partnership
- National Cyber Force to be based in Samlesbury — BBC News.
- I Expect You To Die — Schell Games.
- Midnight Mass — Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
Around 80% of business data breaches result from weak or reused passwords. Using 1Password can close the gaps in your company’s security, combat shadow IT, and help your employees stay both productive and secure, wherever they are.
1Password makes the secure thing to do the easiest thing to do.
Instant control, effortless management. Quickly deploy 1Password to a single team, multiple teams, or your entire enterprise. Provision employees using trusted systems, respond quickly to domain breach reports, and offer every business user a free 1Password Families account for work-from-home security.
Find out more and try 1Password free for 14 days at 1password.com
It’s time to get serious about preventing and detecting credential abuse, privilege escalation, and entitlement exposures.
Attivo Networks gives you visibility on identity exposures, vulnerabilities, and attack paths from endpoints to Active Directory to the cloud – all while creating an active defense, delaying and derailing attacks, empowering the defender and eliminating an attacker’s advantage.
Learn more and kick credential attacks to the curb, by visiting attivonetworks.com
Follow the show:
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.