WannaCry’s “accidental hero” pleads guilty to malware charges, Samsung and Nokia have fingerprint fumbles, the NCSC publishes a list of 100,000 dreadful passwords, and Apple finds itself at the centre of an identity mix-up.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by John Hawes.
Smashing Security #125: 'Pick of the thief!'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
- "Gents! Stop airdropping your pics!" — Smashing Security episode 038, where we discussed the arrest of Marcus Hutchins.
- Marcus Hutchins plea agreement — PDF
- Statement from Marcus Hutchins (aka MalwareTech)
- "Stick to the good side." — Marcus Hutchins on Twitter.
- The Samsung Galaxy S10's ultrasonic fingerprint scanner is hacked — Graham Cluley.
- Video of Nokia 9's fingerprint sensor failure — Decoded Pixel on Twitter.
- Nokia 9 buggy update lets anyone bypass fingerprint scanner with a pack of gum — ZDNet.
- Most hacked passwords revealed as UK cyber survey exposes gaps in online security — NCSC.
- Facebook hoovered up 1.5 million users' email contacts without permission… "unintentionally" — Graham Cluley.
- Facebook: we logged 100x more Instagram plaintext passwords than we thought — Naked Security.
- Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2): 8 things businesses needs to know — Information Age.
- Teen sues Apple over accusations of Apple Store thefts — 9to5Mac
- Student Sues Apple for $1 Billion, Blames Face-Recognition Tech for False Arrest — Insurance Journal.
- Thunderbirds – 50th Anniversary Specials — Century 21 films
- Thunderbirds 1965 – Documentary — YouTube.
- Clash Royale: Enter the Arena.
- Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Details of Carole and John's exhibition — Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
LastPass Enterprise makes password security effortless for your organization.
LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
People are the key to minimizing your Cyber Security risk posture. MetaCompliance makes this easier by providing a single platform for Phishing, Cybersecurity training, Policy, Privacy and Incident management. Listeners can get a 10% discount off their products by quoting the code SMASHING. Visit www.smashingsecurity.com/metacompliance now.
Follow the show:
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.