When Ubiquiti suffered a hack the world assumed it was just a regular security breach, but the truth was much stranger… why are police happy that criminals keep using end-to-end encrypted messaging systems… and why is the Apple Watch being accused of crying wolf?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by cybersecurity veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Mark Stockley.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with SecurEnvoy’s Chris Martin.
Mark Stockley – @markstockley
- Ubiquiti tells customers to change passwords after security breach – ZD Net.
- “No way out” trailer – YouTube.
- Ubiquiti sues journalist, alleging defamation in coverage of data breach – Ars Technica.
- Man charged with Ubiquiti data breach and extortion was employee assigned to investigate hack – Bitdefender.
- Final Thoughts on Ubiquiti – Krebs on Security.
- Former Employee Of Technology Company Pleads Guilty To Stealing Confidential Data And Extorting Company For Ransom – Department of Justice.
- Dutch Police Read Messages of Encrypted Messenger ‘Exclu’ – Vice.
- Shock and applause for Apple Watch’s chilling real-life emergency call ad – Campaign Live.
- 911 call made from Apple Watch of Washington woman buried alive released – Yahoo! News.
- Apple Watch 8 series save yet another life – Live Mint.
- Some first responders are asking iPhone users to disable Emergency SOS and crash detection due to influx of false positives – 9to5mac.
- Emergency SOS via satellite available today on the iPhone 14 lineup in the US and Canada – Apple.
- ”The Social Life of Animals” by Ashley Ward – Amazon.
- Black Butterflies – Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Bitwarden vaults are end-to-end encrypted with zero-knowledge encryption, including, the URLs for the websites you have accounts for. Migrate to Bitwarden for a more secure password manager.
- NordLayer – NordLayer safeguards your company’s network, securing and protecting remote workforces as well as business data. It can even help you ensure security compliance. Get your first month free.
- SecurEnvoy – With growing cyber security threats everyone in your organisation needs authentication tailored to their specific access needs and the risk profile of their role. Check out SecurEnvoy’s free guide now.
Support the show:
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.