What are prisoners getting up to with mobile phones? Why might ransomware no longer be generating as much revenue for cybercriminals? And how on earth did an airline leave the US government’s “No Fly” list accessible for anyone in the world to download?
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
Maria Varmazis – @mvarmazis
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Writing Erotic Romance – Amazon.
- The Many Ingenious Ways People in Prison Use (Forbidden) Cell Phone – The Marshall Project.
- How Did They Run an Elaborate “Sextortion” Scam From Prison? Cellphones – The Marshall Project.
- Alarm Over Death Row Cell Phone Threats – CBS News.
- U.S. airline accidentally exposes ‘No Fly List’ on unsecured server – Daily Dot.
- Cyber-crime gangs’ earnings slide as victims refuse to pay – BBC.
- Ransomware Revenue Down As More Victims Refuse to Pay – ChainAnalysis.
- Leaked Ransomware Docs Show Conti Helping Putin From the Shadows – Wired.
- Luxe Listings Sydney trailer – YouTube.
- Luxe Listing Sydney – Wikipedia.
- Matt Shearer WBZ – Twitter.
- Hot Skull – Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Bitwarden vaults are end-to-end encrypted with zero-knowledge encryption, including, the URLs for the websites you have accounts for. Migrate to Bitwarden for a more secure password manager.
- ManageEngine PAM360 – A fully functional privileged access management suite that offers a holistic picture of all the privileged devices, users, and credentials in the IT infrastructure. From managing and governing access to all your enterprise resources to automating the access management life cycle in your organization, PAM360 does it all.
- NordLayer – NordLayer safeguards your company’s network, securing and protecting remote workforces as well as business data. It can even help you ensure security compliance. Get your first month free.
Support the show:
You can help the podcast by telling your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a supporter via Patreon or Apple Podcasts for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on Mastodon, on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.