Should insurance companies be banned from helping companies pay ransomware demands? How has malware messed with motorcars in the United States? And how are cybercriminals exploiting alcohol drinking during the pandemic?
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Smashing Security #223: 'Booze, nudes, and insurance dudes'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
Maria Varmazis – @mvarmazis
- Lessons of the SolarWinds hack — Article by Marcus Willett, IISS.
- Insurers defend covering ransomware payments — BBC News.
- Cyber insurance giant CNA hit by ransomware attack — Graham Cluley.
- FatFace pays out $2 million to Conti ransomware gang — Graham Cluley.
- How do we stamp out the ransomware business model? Ban insurance payouts for one, says ex-GCHQ director — The Register.
- Cyber Attack Forces Vehicle Emissions Testing Company to Halt Operations in 8 States — The Drive.
- Malware attack is preventing car inspections in eight US states — Bleeping Computer.
- Service Restoration Status Update — Applus Tech.
- Changes in Adult Alcohol Use and Consequences During the COVID-19 Pandemic in the US — JAMA Network.
- Rebalancing the ‘COVID-19 effect’ on alcohol sales — NielsenIQ.
- Alcohol does not protect against COVID-19; access should be restricted during lockdown — WHO.
- Lockdown Saw Rise in Wine Domains and Wine Scammers — Recorded Future.
- The Raven Remastered — THQ Nordic.
- The Raven Remastered trailer — YouTube.
- Westworld — HBO.
- Thermapen Fast, Accurate Instant-read Thermometers — Thermoworks.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
With 1Password you only ever need to memorize one password. All your other passwords and important information are protected by your Master Password, which only you know. Take the 14 day free trial now at 1password.com
While remote work has been on the rise for years now, the recent rapid expansion of work-from-home culture presents new security challenges. Duo Security makes application access more secure for organizations of all sizes. Its modern access security is designed to safeguard all users, devices, and applications – so you can stay focused on what you do best.
Proactively reduce the risk of a data breach, verify users’ identities, gain visibility into every device and enforce polices to secure access to every application. Give your organization the peace-of-mind that only complete device visibility can bring. Visit Duo.com to sign-up for a free 30 day trial.
Follow the show:
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.