PC manufacturer Acer might have received a $50 million ransom demand, a warning spreads on Facebook about a trick being used by hackers, and why are the City of London’s police not happy about Sci Hub?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Alex Eckelberry.
Alex Eckelberry – @alexeck
- Hackers cannot post Facebook comments on your behalf without you seeing it — AFP Fact Check.
- Does a Facebook Hack ‘Hurt and Offend’ Friends? — Snopes.
- Stop sending mail you later regret — Gmail blog.
- April Fools Check: Did Google Really Release Mail Goggles? — TechCrunch.
- When was blinking invented?
- Computer giant Acer hit by $50 million ransomware attack — Bleeping Computer.
- Ransomware gang says it targets firms who have cyber insurance. And what’s more, it will hack insurance firms to identify them… — Graham Cluley.
- Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science? — The Guardian.
- Police warn students and universities of accessing an illegal website to download published scientific papers — City of London Police.
- Meet the pirate queen making academic papers free online — The Verge.
- Sci-Hub: How Does it Work? — The Scholarly Kitchen.
- Glitterbomb Trap Catches Phone Scammer (who gets arrested) — YouTube.
- After Life — Netflix.
- The One — Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
With 1Password you only ever need to memorize one password. All your other passwords and important information are protected by your Master Password, which only you know. Take the 14 day free trial now at 1password.com
SailPoint Identity Security can help you enable your business and manage the cyber risk associated with the explosion of technology access in the cloud enterprise – ensuring each worker has the right access to do their job – no more, no less.
Gain unmatched visibility and intelligence while automating and accelerating the management of all user identities, entitlements, systems, data and cloud services.
Learn more at smashingsecurity.com/sailpoint
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter to read more of the exclusive content we post.