Who’s been collecting the voice prints of millions of people saying “My voice is my password”? Why has it become tougher for law enforcement to scoop up cellphone data? And who’s been turning up your central heating?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by John Hawes from AMTSO.
Smashing Security #84: 'No! My voice is not my password'
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Pocket Casts | Spotify | Other... | RSS
Graham Cluley – @gcluley
Carole Theriault – @caroletheriault
- Voice ID showcases latest digital development for HMRC customers
- HMRC takes 5 million taxpayers’ Voice IDs without consent – Big Brother Watch
- UK taxman has amassed voice profiles of 5.1 million taxpayers
- BBC fools HSBC voice recognition security system
- Knock down ginger — What Graham meant to say when he referred to “Postman’s knock”
- Victory! Supreme Court Says Fourth Amendment Applies to Cell Phone Tracking
- Thermostats, Locks and Lights: Digital Tools of Domestic Abuse
- Safety Net: the National Safe & Strategic Technology Project
- US Tech Safety hotlines
- UK National Domestic Violence Helpline
- Worldwide helpline directory
- Music-Map – The Tourist Map of Music
- Del Amitri
- Ron Sexsmith
- BBC Radio 4 – Short Cuts
- Tandoori Lambchop Sent to Space (Meatspace) – YouTube
- Adam Buxton podcast with Charlie Brooker
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Support us on Patreon!
VirusTotal Intelligence is one of the world’s largest malware intelligence services. Security professionals rely on it to better understand the effects of malware in enterprise networks.
Go to www.virustotal.com/learn to learn more
Follow the show:
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Found this article interesting? Follow Graham Cluley on Twitter or Mastodon to read more of the exclusive content we post.
2 comments on “Smashing Security podcast #084: No! My voice is not my password”
RSS for nerds? Podcasts = Apple Podcasts …Look a lot like a fanboie here (elite for fanboy).
Most of our downloads come from Apple Podcasts/iTunes, followed closely by PocketCasts . Our listeners are overwhelmingly iOS users (my guess is that's because Android doesn't ship with a default podcast app).
Personally I like Overcast and PocketCasts, and think Apple Podcasts is horrendous. The good news is that you can listen via any podcast app using the RSS feed, although the uninitiated may be baffled as to what they're supposed to do with it.