Apple releases iOS 7.02, fixing lockscreen passcode flaw

Apple has just released a new version of iOS for iPhone and iPad users, which they claim will fix the various passcode flaws that have been embarrassing the company since the recent launch of iOS 7.

The most recently discovered problem was a vulnerability in iOS 7′s lockscreen code that allowed anyone to make a phone call from a locked device via the emergency screen.

iOS 7.02

Anyone want to place a bet on how long it takes hackers to find a vulnerability in this version?

If you want to install it for yourself, go to Settings | General | Software Update. Be sure, of course, to read the terms & conditions before you go ahead and install the update to iOS 7.02 – who knows what they could have slipped in there?

PS. Anyone else going to try using that Greek keyboard option for a really tricky to crack passcode? :)

Tags: , , , ,

, , , ,

51 Responses

1. Allen Wilson September 26, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

This update is not good for IPhone 4! :(

• Debbie September 26, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Why isnt it?

• brahbolda September 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

my phone screen shows de plug and pointing to itunes help me!

• Russ September 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

my iPhone 5 did the same thing I plugged it into my
        computer now it wants to RESTORE the iphone to NEW I really
        don't wanna loose all my data/pics but I think
        it's too late

• TW September 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

My IPhone 4 is showing the same thing! Plug pointing toward
        iTunes icon. Frozen on that screen. Can anyone help!!!!!!

• Graham Cluley
          Graham Cluley September 29, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

My recommendation would be to seek assistance from Apple's tech support community.

• Sam October 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

That happened when I downloaded the iOS 7 update. You don't have a choice: you must restore your iPhone. But don't fret about losing apps. Most likely when you plugged it in to your computer it backed up your apps to your computer. Otherwise your iPhone probably backups to the iCloud automatically each night. Once you restore your iPhone, you will be able to set it up and if it doesn't prompt to retrieve apps through the iCloud, you can do so through your settings. Then they download when you're in wifi. Your music, however, won't restore, so you'll have to sync from your itunes again.

2. Angie Jones September 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Is that the same with android then because I can phone
    emergency services from my lock screen as well!

• Graham Cluley
      Graham Cluley September 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

This particular flaw allowed you to ring *any* number from the emergency screen however. Clearly "suboptimal" :)

3. Omar September 26, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Last time I installed iOS 0.7 & now could i re
    install iOS 7.2 for iPhone 5?please inform me immediately

• Graham Cluley
      Graham Cluley September 26, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Do you mean iOS 7.0? If your iDevice can run iOS 7.0 then 7.02 should be safe to install. Just go via software update on your iPhone settings app.

• Omar September 27, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Yes sir I meant iOS 7 version & I also installed iOS 7.2 version properly .. Thank you sir .

• N26 October 17, 2013 at 5:23 am #

How can I downgrade my iPhone 4s to 6.1.3? I have an iOS
        7.2 but I cannot turn-on the wi-fi. please do help.

4. Debbie September 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Since updating my iphone 4 to ios7 my itunes hasnt worked i
    backed it up and restored it to its original phone yesterday it was
    working today its not pls help

5. Ryan Jones September 27, 2013 at 1:23 am #

SInce Updating to 7.0.2 My phone has been in recovery
    mode…I have never had an update that did this….Great Thanks
    Apple…

• Tony September 27, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Just restore. It'll be fine. That's why
      you backup before you update.

• Russ September 27, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

this is CRAP a tiny update to wreck my main mode of
        communications I (unlike most "Apple Zombies"
        don't plug my phone into my computer often at all) hell, I
        don't even use my home computer except to print

• .me September 28, 2013 at 5:52 am #

Oooh, "Apple Zombies". You must be a very
          superior being Russ. Wanker!

6. Jonathan September 27, 2013 at 2:42 am #

How do I access the Greek password keyboard please
    help

• Graham Cluley
      Graham Cluley September 29, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Open your Settings app

Go to General / Keyboard / Keyboards / Add New Keyboard…

I err.. wouldn't actually recommend it unless you are Greek though.

• Bryan October 1, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

I wasn't expecting it to be for typing in general, I thought it was for the password entry on the lock screen.

7. Chandler Calhoon September 27, 2013 at 7:14 am #

The Siri to make calls while locked is still there and
    airplane mode while locked

• Russ September 27, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

it would be awesome for them to fix this I hate Siri
      talking to me from my pocket

8. lynne September 27, 2013 at 11:05 am #

tried to instal ois7.02 now my phones not going on

9. Joe September 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Hi ,did the updates successfully, problem I have since
    update is that the phone will not answer the 'slide to
    answer' ,not working effectively

10. davcompany September 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

ios 7.0.2 = ZONK !! F*#k OFF !!

• Graham Cluley
      Graham Cluley September 29, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

I'm not sure I know the word "ZONK", but I suspect I've worked out it's meaning from the rest of your message.

Maybe Apple Support can help if you're having a problem? Or try the online discussion forums: https://discussions.apple.com

11. Ken Mullen September 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

Installed 7.0.2 I can send messages email and phone using
    Siri with the phone locked.

12. Sid September 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Thats all well and good but there is another flaw! As it
    stands, you can turn on Airplane mode from the lock screen. So what
    you say. But if your phone is stolen and Airplane mode is
    activated, there's no point in 'Find my
    iPhone' as the phone is not sending out a signal. Yes, you
    can disable control center from the lock screen, but that defeats
    the object of having it. All Apple need to do is hide the Airplane
    mode tab in lock screen and expose it when pin unlocked.

13. Richard Kenney September 27, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

everyone I talk to that has updated it hates it. I now wish I not updated my phone it's hard to see you for older eyes, icons are not very well done. My phone seems to be really cliquish now. Trying to figure out how to go back to the older version.

14. Anthoro September 28, 2013 at 1:42 am #

Great! It did work for me ! Remember to hold home button
    until itunes will recognize your device and recovery mode. THX mate
    !

• Ann September 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

struggling to sync my iTunes on laptop with recently
      updated iphone as all was lost on update. iTunes is not recognising
      my phone – can anyone help?

15. kathy September 28, 2013 at 2:12 am #

How do I change to the Greek keyboard?

• Graham Cluley
      Graham Cluley September 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

Are you Greek Kathy?

If you're not Greek then it may be unwise to switch to a Greek keyboard.

But here's how your change the keyboard on your iPhone to Greek (and indeed umpteen other languages):

Open your Settings app

Go to General / Keyboard / Keyboards / Add New Keyboard…

• kathy September 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

no, i'm not greek. but i like the old keyboard to type in my password. that is what i thought this meant. i thought they were giving us back the old password keyboard.

guess not…………..

16. zenaa September 28, 2013 at 7:51 am #

why does it takes so much time to get
    updated…………

17. John September 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

I'm running iOS 7 dev beta update 3 and my 5th gen
    iPod touch isn't detecting a software update, anybody know
    why?

18. syrendyr September 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

blue tooth with Ford Sync all jacked up now!!!! car
    controls are not responding ….can't change songs or
    play/pause without manually hitting play from the phone.
    sucks!!

• Michael Bazzoni September 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Same here. My steering wheel audio controls in my Ford
      Fusion are gone since loading 7.02 on my iPhone 5. I posted that in
      the Apple Support Communities too. Not cool find this out while I
      was driving.

19. Matthew philp September 29, 2013 at 3:32 am #

when i plug my phone into iTunes it says there is a
    problem? what do i do?

• Ann September 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

have you found a solution, if you have please share as I
      have same problem!!

• Graham Cluley
        Graham Cluley September 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

I'd recommend asking on Apple's Support Community forums: https://discussions.apple.com

20. Rob Lessen September 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

I'm still pissed that I lost my calendar entries
    when I "updated" to 7. I'm thinking
    I'll try an Andriod phone soon.

21. Angela September 30, 2013 at 4:14 am #

Hi, Since updating my Iphone 4, my battery is draining
    within about 4 hours. I have done both updates, turned off Wifi,
    bluetooth, etc. Is this being addressed?

22. Austin September 30, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Since I downloaded ios7-7.2 on my iPhone 5 my battery dies extremely fast does anyone know why?

• Mike October 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

I am having the same problem. Started immediately after
      updating to 7.02. And this is a newer (6 months) phone.

23. Cervantaes Trudeau October 2, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Hey Graham?
    How can I update from ios6.1.3 to. 7.0.2 without having to restore it?

24. impations October 6, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I Hate IOS 7.02 it sucks for IPhone 4 . I like to take
    pictures on my iPhone and ios 7.02 says it uses panorama and I
    don't get that on my phone or the color effects. I hate
    that the txt screen is all white it hurts my EYEs when I have many
    texts to read. please find a solution to the white screen .
    !!!

25. Philip October 6, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

7.2 Don't do it.. will mess up your phone. My
    phone was working good on the IOS 7.1, excluding the code glitch,
    now I lost all information and nothing is in the i cloud that was
    backed up earlier. Will never consider an apple product
    again.

26. Allie October 17, 2013 at 3:48 am #

I updated my iphone today and hate it!! whats worse is the
    Greek keyboard is jacked!! I changed my password and only used 3
    characters, it accepted it and now I have been locked out of my
    phone ALL day!! The symbol of sigma is not the same on the lock
    screen and I am locked out!

27. Ritch November 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

I updated my Iphone 5 to IOS 7.2 a couple of weeks ago, i really liked the look and feel of it………….untill my phone decided to die on me, the apple logo was on for 3 seconds then off for 3 seconds. I took my phone to my service provider and they have sent it off to be looked at and hopefully fixed. I just hope all my videos and photos are still on there when i get it back, im not that fussed about the phone just the footage of my son. Has anybody else had this problem and do you know if i will get the phone back with the footage on.

Thanks